The Golden Lamb is recognized as the oldest continuously operating business in the State of Ohio. On December 23, 1803, Jonas Seaman spent $4 for a license to operate a "house of Public Entertainment". The Golden Lamb got its name due to the fact that many early pioneers could not read, so giving a business a name that could be easily drawn and recognized, such as the Black Horse or Golden Lamb, was a necessity.
The brick building where the Golden Lamb moved to and currently resides was built in 1815. The original building was a two story structure located where our lobby area and Dickens dining room currently stand. In 1844 a third story was added. Shortly after, in 1854 a three story wing was added which is where our Shaker and Buckeye room dining rooms currently stand. In 1878, a fourth story was added to accomodate the workers who would bring the railroad to Lebanon. The gift shop and Black Horse Tavern were added to the structure in 1964.
The Golden Lamb was visited by so many prominent guests in the early 1800's because it was located halfway between Cincinnati and the National Road (U.S. 40). Robert H. Jones' ownership of the property beginning in 1926 marked the transformation of the old hotel into the great attraction and marvelous restaurant it is today. Under their guidance, the inn's great reputation became well known throughout the country. Their ownership also marked the restoration of the hotel to its original name, The Golden Lamb.